Cathedral by Raymond Carver

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The stories in Cathedral are longer compared to those in the previous two collections. I am not the first to say it, but after having read through a series of Carver's works, one can see the development he made as a writer. There were many Carver readers who saw signs in Cathedral of something larger than a short story ready to come out if we had not lost this great American writer at such an early age.

After having read through several dozen stories, I was eager to settle down with a more substantial piece of literature. John Updike's Couples proved to be exactly the type of novel which I was in need of.

2 comments:

TallTchr July 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

By coincidence, I assigned "Cathedral" to my AP English students for this weekend. They're reading it even as I type this. Tomorrow I'll introduce them to such words as "epiphany" and "transcendent". I could also give them "apotheosis" but I won't because I know how I hated it when I was in school and my teacher tried to sell us that word.

Unknown July 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM  

Hey, I've been following your journey through Carver. Just wondering if you would suggest starting at the beginning, or if you could point out a favorite story or two.

A fellow reader,
R. Yaeko

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP